Rio de Janeiro, 1907
Studied at the Escola Nacional de Belas Artes, and began his career working as an assistant to the architect Lucio Costa, who introduced him to Le Corbusier.
During the period 1940 to 1954, his work was centred on three cities: Rio de Janeiro ,Sao Paulo and Belo Horizonte.
Subsequently, with Lucio Costa, he designed the urban facilities for the city of Brasilia.
In 1964 political motives led him to seek exile to Euope, where amongst other works he constructed the building for the French Communist Party.
With the end of the dictatorship he returned to Brasil, immediately resuming his professional activities.